Celebrity Chef Chuck Hughes is a well-known restauranteur in Montreal. He has hosted cooking shows on both sides of the border and is the youngest Canadian chef to win Iron Chef America! Chuck is also the curator of our December’s CHEF’S BOX monthly food club, filled with kitchen staples that he uses both at home and in his restaurants. Here he shares one of his favourite seasonal recipes.
1 cup & 1 tbsp flour
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup icing sugar
½ cup cold butter cubed
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 honeycrisp apples – cored and cubed
500ml of My Woodsman’s Maple Syrup
2 tbsp butter
½ cup walnuts
1. Sift 1 cup of flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1/3 cup icing sugar together.
2. Pinch in ½ cup cubed cold butter.
3. Mix until dough forms (don’t over mix).
4. Let rest for 20 minutes.
Press into small tart shell molds and weigh down center with a pie weight.
Bake at 325°F for 15-20 minutes (until golden brown).
1. Bring 300ml maple syrup, 2 tbsp brown sugar and 2 tbsp butter to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in apples and cook for 5 minutes at a medium-high heat. Stir in 1 tbsp of flour and cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
1. Heat ½ cup walnuts and 200ml maple syrup over medium heat in a non-stick skillet.
2. Stirring frequently, until syrup is caramelized and nuts are toasted (about 3 minutes).
1. Put apple filling in tart shell reserving some of the maple caramel.
2. Top with high-quality ice cream, candied walnuts and pour over remaining maple caramel sauce.