Jeremy Charles, chef of the treasured St John’s, Newfoundland restaurant The Merchant Tavern and advocate for all things local, shares with us some of his favourite East Coast artisan Food Makers in this month’s CHEF’S BOX, as well as his tried and true recipes for the perfect East Coast Brunch using our spotlight ingredient – Haskapa Haskap Maple Syrup.
Steel Cut Oat Porridge with Merchant Granola and Maple Syrup
makes 4-6 servings
3 cups water
1 cup 3.25% milk + extra for drizzlng
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup steel-cut oats
Haskapa Maple Syrup*
Merchant Tavern Granola*
1. Bring water, 1 cup of milk, unsalted butter and the salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Stir in 1 cup steel cut oats.
3. Return to a boil.
4. Reduce heat, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and oats are tender, about 25 minutes.
5. Serve in a cereal bowl and drizzle each serving with 100 ml warm milk.
6. Garnish with Merchant Tavern granola and Haskapa maple syrup.
*You can find Haskapa Maple Syrup and Merchant Tavern Granola in this month’s CHEFBOX curated by East Coast Chef and Restaurant owner Jeremy Charles. Learn more here.